Gaps between teeth can be a concerning issue. Apart from the obvious health concerns, it hinders their social confidence for many people. But, the good news is – there are multiple teeth straightening options available. Read along to know everything about orthodontic treatment for closing gaps in teeth with braces.
What Are Gaps Between Teeth?
The condition of space between two teeth is called diastema. In most cases, a gap is formed between the upper front teeth.
There are several reasons behind gaps occurring in-between teeth. They are common in infants with milk teeth and usually disappear when permanent teeth come through. It is along this process when gaps can occur between teeth.
Another condition that leads to gaps between teeth is enlarged gums. This condition often affects the top of the gum – labial frenum, right above the front teeth. However, it can be reduced by minor surgery.
What Are the Causes of Gaps?
There are many underlying causes that lead to gaps between teeth –
- Formation of an extra tooth can push the existing teeth out of its normal position
- Gum being affected by infection can lead to gaps between teeth
- Uneven sizes of teeth can also lead to gaps
- Unusually large tongue can push the teeth alignment outwards, creating gaps
- Unusually large jawbone can also lead to gaps between teeth.
For any of the above-mentioned conditions, orthodontic treatment is available. The dentist will assign the right braces or prosthetics in order to fix the gaps and alignment of your teeth.
Are gaps in teeth a problem?
Gaps in-between teeth do not pose an immediate threat but in the long run, can cause a variety of discomfort. Here are a few reasons why gaps between teeth are an issue to consider fixing as soon as possible –
- Affects gum health – This happens because while eating, your gums get directly exposed to the food. Hard food items like fried chips or meat affect your gums. Over time, when this happens regularly, the damage on your gums becomes severe.
- Food deposit leading to infection – While chewing food, bits and pieces can get stuck in the gaps in-between gums. These bits and pieces are not easily removed even after brushing. Over time they can cause infections that affect your gums as well as cause plaque in your teeth.
- Disrupts dentals aesthetics – This is a discomforting problem that is prevalent with gaps between teeth. This can cause social anxiety and affect your confidence.
Can teeth gaps be closed with braces?
Braces are your best option to close gaps in-between teeth. They work on simple mechanics that induce a tension between the teeth that gradually pulls them together. This reduces the gaps and fixes your teeth’ alignment.
How Fast Do Braces Close Gaps?
Traditional braces can take between 10-12 months to complete closing gaps between teeth. For instance, if your gap is 2 mm wide, your recovery shall be faster than someone with a gap 4 mm wide.
Nevertheless, the duration for braces to complete the treatment of fixation of your dental alignment depends on a few factors –
- The size of the gaps
- Functioning of your facial muscles
- The functioning of your jawbone
To inquire about your condition, go to one of the best dental hospital in Qatar, Allevia Medical Center. Consult the best dentist in Qatar at the orthodontic department of Allevia, and they provide well-rounded care for all types of dental issues.
What are Orthodontic Treatment Options for Gaps in Teeth?
Depending on the severity of the gaps, there are multiple types of braces for gap teeth –
- Traditional Braces – When you opt for braces, your orthodontist will attach brackets on your teeth which will be held together by a flexible wire across them. Tiny elastics are fitted over the brackets to create tension among the teeth that pulls them towards each other, fixing your dental alignment.
- Ceramic Braces – These are an alternative to traditional metal braces. They are tooth colored or clear brackets and are less visible.
- Clear Aligners – This is an option for gaps that are minor. Such gaps between teeth can be obliterated by using clear plastic aligners. Aligners is not an option if the gap between teeth is large.
Equipped with state-of-the-art dental facilities – Allevia gives hope to all patients that report dental problems. From teeth whitening, orthodontics to all sorts of cosmetic dental work, we have got it all covered for you!
Here’s a glimpse of all our dental services:
- Cosmetic restorations
- Crown and bridge restorations
- Root canal treatments
- Gum management
- Orthodontic correction of maligned teeth with braces
- Management of oro-facial infection
- Management of facial injuries
- Management of benign tumors and cysts of oro-facial regions
- Dental care for the diabetic and,
- All general dental procedures.
So there you go! This is everything you need to know about closing teeth gaps. Make sure you do not hesitate to address your dental issues. There are multiple solutions to fix your problem, all you need to do is reach out!